An inclusive group of citizens mobilizing to elect a responsive and competent Victoria City Council.
We have learned a lot in the last 4 years!
What we learned sparked us to offer an alternative to our current mayor and council. Our surveys, community meetings and calls to action have resulted in a volunteer and supporter base of thousands of individuals from diverse political affiliations. We are all tired of poor stewardship of our financial resources, annoyed at being left out by a municipal government in thrall to special interest groups, and frustrated with apologies after the fact.
NewCouncil.ca offers a slate of independent candidates as your alternative. And just in time too! We need an alternative to the current councilors and the alternate slate’s idealism ungrounded in fiscal reality. NewCouncil.ca provides Victorians a clear choice. To join our broad-based movement (avoiding divisive identity politics) and find your voice represented at the council table, vote for NewCouncil.ca candidates.
When our supporters told us…
1) Actually listen to people on issues that affect them, earn their trust
2) Stop hiking taxes well above inflation, spend money wisely on things we really need, not pet projects
3) Provide early certainty to developers and neighbours, approve or reject housing projects faster, provide more affordable housing (missing middle - multi-unit or clustered housing)
4) Make a lasting impact on homelessness, it’s to everyone’s benefit
5) Revitalize downtown (parking, bike lanes, vibrancy, safety)
6) Elect a mayor and councillors with experience, competence, and qualifications to make better decisions
…we heard you loud and clear.
We will create Victoria’s future with other elected officials. We will respect the electorate and put your needs first in our decision-making. Our clear vision is developed from what Victorians told us they want:
- Trustworthy & transparent representation
- Fiscal responsibility
- A safe & clean environment
- Improved transportation options
- More affordable housing
Do not expect a platform dictating four years of personal agenda projects as we expect to be working with the public and partners like the provincial government, CRD, and other local stakeholders.
We will never produce an 1173 page budget (yes, really!) as our city did (Vancouver’s is only 439 pages). Public information will be transparent, simple, and easy to access. We will shine a light on mysteries such as, “How did a world-class $105 million bridge end up sporting horrendous bolted-on plates?” and “What are the details of the plan to spend $90 million dollars on affordable housing?” Victoria may not receive any of this money, yet the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness (mayor as current co-chair) has worked on housing plans for 10 years at a cost of $6.5 million.
We will make city hall work for staff by keeping things simple. In current council lingo, we will eschew obfuscation and espouse elucidation.
And finally, we will make Victoria work for you!
Our vision is a City Council that:
- is qualified, with real-life experience and a fresh outlook;
- embraces thoughtful and respectful debate;
- ensures that the interests of all Victoria citizens are considered;
- makes decisions based on clear objectives, broad community input, best practices, and solid evidence;
- runs the city with a focus on core services;
- is committed to fiscal responsibility, and respects every taxpayer dollar;
- is transparent and democratic.
Our vision is a Victoria that is safe, clean and inviting for residents and visitors, with:
- an appropriate stock of housing that addresses the needs of existing neighbourhoods;
- social housing that is safe, responsible and respectful of existing neighbourhoods;
- fair and even enforcement of laws and bylaws;
- a transportation plan that recognizes all forms of mobility, and that automobiles are still a fundamental form of transportation of both goods and people.
NewCouncil.ca candidates have been carefully selected to represent Victoria. Each candidate:
- is committed to balanced representation of interests; putting Victoria’s citizens ahead of special interest groups;
- has integrity in actions and is committed to transparency regarding relationships that might cause conflicts of interest;
- is open to new ideas and thinks critically;
- accepts constructive criticism;
- is committed to a non-partisan approach to decision making for Victoria regardless of personal alignment with provincial and federal political parties;
- has a record of community involvement and personal contribution to improving Victoria;
- has the financial competence to oversee and make informed decisions on behalf of the electorate;
- understands the role of municipal government and its relationship to provincial and federal governments;
- has broad practical experience and proven competence in major decision-making;
- is articulate and electable.
Come visit us!
Our campaign office is at 1316 Douglas Street (between Yates and Johnson).
We're open from 11:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 778-535-7657
Authorized by Jane Burns, Financial Agent - 250-477-4409