Democracies require highly capable representation
We are Victoria citizens of all ages, backgrounds and perspectives.
We want a City Council that embraces thoughtful and respectful debate.
A Council that listens and considers the diverse interests and needs
of the electorate. A Council that makes decisions based on
objective research and clear evidence, rather than ideology.
What We Want for Victoria:
- A safe, clean and inviting city for residents and visitors.
- A focus on Victoria’s core services.
- Fiscal responsibility that is respectful and spends taxpayer money as would a thoughtful trustee.
- Candidate and elected representative transparency and action that doesn’t cater to special interests.
- Decisions made based on clear objectives, broad community input, best practices and solid evidence.
- Trustworthy and responsive communication mechanisms that assure all Victoria citizens are heard and acknowledged.
- An appropriate stock of affordable housing that addresses the needs of existing neighbourhoods.
- Social housing that is safe, responsible and respectful of existing neighbourhoods.
- Fair and even enforcement of laws and by-laws.
- A smart and accessible transportation plan that recognizes all forms of mobility including the reality that cars are still a fundamental form of transportation.
Top 10 Attributes of a New Council or Mayoralty Approved Candidate
We have consulted Victoria citizens, and this is what they have said they need and expect in candidates and elected representatives:
- Is committed to balanced representation of interests; putting Victoria’s citizens ahead of special interest groups.
- Has integrity in actions and is committed to transparency regarding relationships that might cause conflicts of interest.
- Is open to new ideas and able to think critically; demonstrated ability to listen, hear and act on what they hear from constituents.
- Is able to tolerate constructive criticism.
- Is committed to a non-partisan approach to decision making for Victoria regardless of their personal alignment with existing provincial and federal parties.
- Has a record of community involvement and personal contribution to improving the City of Victoria.
- Has sufficient financial competence to oversee and make informed decisions on behalf of the electorate.
- Has a strong understanding of the role of municipal government and how it relates to the roles and mandates of provincial and federal levels of government.
- Has broad practical experience and proven competence in major decision making on significant issues where real consequences exist.
- Is articulate on major issues and is electable.